WARNING: THIS IS A REALLY LONG BLOG :-D
Ok let's start with labor....So August 17th was the inducing date. At this point I was about 80% effaced and about 2cm dilated.
Dad dropped Mom off at our house around 6:30am to french braid my hair (wanted to make sure it wasn't going to get in the way). We left the house around 7:15am and got to the hospital and checked in around 7:45am. They showed me back to room 713 (the biggest on the floor), had me change into my hospital gown and stated finishing checking me in in the room while they were hooking up the monitors (two for babes and one for contractions) and IV. They hooked me up to Pitocin to get the labor started. Labor really didn't start until Dr. Rogers broke Corvin's water around 12:30, I was still only at about 2-3cm. Man was that the weirdest feeling. Felt like I was peeing in bed, especially with each contraction as it would get a little gush. At this time they also upped my Pitocin trying to get labor going. I had family visitors off and on that day checking in.
Later in the afternoon, after going to the bathroom a bunch and having the hassle of all the monitor adjusting afterwards and picking up one baby's heartbeat in both monitors, they doctor had a scalpel monitor put in for Corvin's heartbeat and then a internal contraction monitor was put in to get a better read on the strength of my contractions....totally uncomfortable! I am not sure when, but after different nurses all day, I finally got my labor and delivery nurse, Mindy. She was super nice. Around dinner time my parents, Walter's parents and grandparents had stopped by and were trying to keep me company as they kept upping my Pitocin. Shortly there after the contractions really started to come and everyone left but Walter, my mom and Walter's mom. I really couldn't have done this part without Walter and my mom. Walter was great at coaching me along and mom was the best at helping keeping me breathing...something I forget to do when I get in pain or have to concentrate. Walter's mom was really nice to offer to hold the puke bucket for me....I got really close but nothing ever came.
At about 9pm Dr Rogers came back and checked me, I was finally at 5cm.....13 hours and I had only gotten 3 cm bigger. Since I was at 5cm, Dr Rogers said I could have my epidural. I said yes mainly as a precaution in case there was going to be any problems with Chloe after Corvin was delivered. They had to put a catheter in (thank goodness....I was tired of getting up to go to the bathroom with all the cords and paraphernalia) but Mindy missed and Dr Rogers came in and put it in for her....I felt that for weeks after every time I moved my right leg....after I received the epi, I took a 2 hour nap.
Around 12am, Dr Rogers came back for another check....I was still at 5cm and pretty much fully effaced. No change. So now we had to discuss other options since there wasn't any additional progress and it had be about 12 hours since Corvin's water was broken and the risk of infection was going up with every minute now and he had to be delivered within the next 12 hours (once your water is broken they like to deliver the baby within 24 hours). Dr Rogers spoke the hard truth that I had only dilated about 3 cm since I came in around 8am...and she didn't want to wait longer for any additional slow progress. Time was of an essence now. The conclusion was that my uterus was soo distended that it was being able to contract like it needed to get progression (yes I was getting contractions). So the next hour was spend prepaing me a C-Section.
Once in the OR things happened so fast. They rolled me onto the operating table, put up this bar and draped my gown and another drape over it so I couldn't see below, put really warm towels on my upper body and legs (I was shaking so bad from all of the hormones and lack of sleep and food), and the anesthesiologist started talking to me to get me to relax and be comfortable. He was great letting me know when I would feel pressure and giving me the heads up in case I need something.
There were 2 nurses for each baby, my labor and delivery nurse, Dr Rogers and another assisting doctor, the anesthesiologist, Walter and Me....that's 9 people with 2 more on the way....crazy! When Dr Rogers cut in she made 2 comments: "Wow, there's like no fat, you are all baby!" and "Oh my God! They are each the size of ONE 38 week baby!" With each baby she would bring them out and show me over the drapes and then bring them off to my right to show me them. Then Walter went over to help dry them off and then they brought them to him while he sat by my head and showed me my two new wonderful goregous babies. I kinda forgot what was going on and was just in love with them. We made the most beautiful babies!
They finished cleaning me up and sewing me back together and then wheeled me back to my room with each baby in my arms. Walter and I spent some time by ourselves before we had everyone else join us.
(The new family....Corvin is on the left and Chloe is on the right)
I will share the rest of the night and my hospital experience in my next blog :-) Gotta go feed babies!
No comments:
Post a Comment